1. WEIGH EVERYTHING – You need to learn proper portion sizes, you’ll need to feel a little extra from time to time, but it’s a habit you need to adopt.
2. DON’T GO COLD TURKEY – Ease yourself into a diet change slowly, it helps the new habits stick. Start with subbing out condiments for lower calorie versions… or, better yet – make your own.
3. FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND – You need to eat to achieve any fitness goals you may have. You don’t deadlift 150% of your bodyweight by eating 1200 calories a day.
4. INVEST IN GOOD KITCHEN TOOLS – You’re going to start cooking more, don’t use shitty tools. Invest in good knives and cookware. Bonus Tip: an instant pot will be your meal prep BFF, and they’re on sale a lot.
5. FIND AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER – You’ll want someone to keep you in check from time to time. Seek out someone with similar goals, it helps a ton… plus then you can have a meal prep partner.
6. QUITTING SODA IS HARD AF – You thankfully have options: diet, Sodastream, Zevia, Bai, soda water… they’re all your friends.
7. SEASON YOUR DAMN FOOD – Herbs & spices taste great, and are generally low in calorie counts, use them often. Bland food sucks.
8. DON’T GET SUCKED INTO DIET HYPE – If someone promises you abs in 90 days or -30lbs in 30 days, they are full of shit. Don’t give them your money. Change takes time, be patient with yourself.
9. READ UP ON THE 80/20 RULE – This is a personal favorite method here at MTK. It allows you for some flexibility if you need to crush a craving, and it helps you better stay on track with your goals.
10. MAKE YOUR OWN SALAD DRESSINGS – It’s cheaper, and you can control everything that goes into it.
11. EAT YOUR VEGGIES – Vegetables are a great low calorie, high volume side dish. Load up that plate with veg and you’ll stay fuller longer.
12. “VEGAN” ISN’T A DIRTY WORD – It’s one you’ll see often around here. Vegan subs are possible for a large number of MTK recipes, because you should be able to eat well and chase the gains no matter what your philosophy is.
13. STAY HYDRATED, FAM – Drink plenty of water, tea, and coffee… your hair, skin, joints, and everything else will thank you for it.
14. SUPPLEMENT WISELY – Not all products are created equal… do your research.
15. YOU WILL FUCK UP – It’s bound to happen, and when it does… it’s NBD. Just start again tomorrow. Reprogramming your brain to eat differently takes a reasonable amount of time, and “reasonable” varies from person to person. Be patient with yourself and trust the process.